Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Government
16 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

JS
JS
489 posts

Re: Voter Credentials

Psi-Phi wrote:
Do Corporations readily permit non-shareholders to vote at their Board meetings? Do Britons allow Italian or French citizens to fly over to vote freely in England's elections? (or the other way around?)

This opens another debate: When a powerful democratic nation have unilateral foreign policies, it's like "Democracy inside our border, tyranny outside".

Best example is the USA going to war in Iraq, even if the UN and most of the other democratic nations of the world were against it. As a Canadian, don't you think I should have a right to vote for or against US (or any other nation) foreign policies if they are affecting me and the rest of the world?

Psi-Phi wrote:
But aside from the most basic qualifications, there should be little or no limitations on the free exercise of the Right to vote, including literacy, race, creed, color, etc.

To me, the most basic qualification should be based on the intellect. I know that it is utopia, that defining fair criterion for establishing a license to vote would be very complicated, but it is nonetheless something to aim for.

You said earlier that an informed electorate is important, yet, people can't be forced to inform themselves, but the voice of an informed person has no more democratic value than the voice of an uninformed person. If someday, a majority of people won't bother about properly informing themselves, would it mean that we should allow ignorance lead the world in the name of democracy?

Jan 02, 2012, 13:44