Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Government
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Psi-Phi
Psi-Phi
182 posts

Government

This Topic was suggested to me by a discussion in a different Thread in a Post by Hito, which I take the liberty of reposting here:

hito wrote:
Perhaps democracy is not such a good idea. Asking all people to vote about matters that require a PhD level of knowledge is objectively illogical. I am not saying that voting should be eliminated but I am asking people to consider what it means. The idea of a voting licence could logically lead to most people being eliminated from the electoral roll as few would have the necessary knowledge required to make informed decisions on the range of complex matters controlled by government.
So where does that leave us? I don't know

Perceptive questions often suggest their own very best answers. I believe your statements certainly do! Another perceptive insight by Hito.

Dec 29, 2011, 17:32

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Psi-Phi
Psi-Phi
182 posts

Re: Government

Psi-Phi wrote:
Perceptive questions often suggest their own very best answers. I believe your statements certainly do!

A government 'of the People, by the People and for the People' is not just an ideal, but a realistic and obtainable goal.

Actually, the system we have now in the United States is merely a corruption and a perversion of what originally was intended to be the ideal solution, and therefore could be, should be, at least a template for the ideal solution, if the corruption were to be eliminated.

I think it could be.

Dec 29, 2011, 17:37

Psi-Phi
Psi-Phi
182 posts

Psi-Phi wrote:
A government 'of the People, by the People and for the People' is not just an ideal, but a realistic, obtainable goal.

Ideally, you would want to have the greatest number of people made eligible to vote, under the least number of restrictions (if there is any hope for truly representative government.)

Then, ideally, those ordinary people would be informed sufficiently, voluntarily, by their freedom of access to information generally, to vote for honest and trustworthy representatives who possess the necessary knowledge required to make informed decisions on the range of complex matters controlled by government.

Power to the People! If I may, I would like to suggest a few answers. The beginning of hope for realistic solutions is in our very language.

Dec 29, 2011, 17:38

Psi-Phi
Psi-Phi
182 posts

Psi-Phi wrote:
Power to the People! If I may, I would like to suggest a few answers. The beginning of hope for realistic solutions is in our very language.

Distinctions with a difference, by definitions, in this case, between the two words Democracy and Republic. Big difference!

The essence of Democracy is Majority Rule. A perfect microcosm is a lynch mob. The poor guy at the end of the rope is in the unfortunate minority. Democracy has been described as two wolves and a lamb deciding what's for lunch.

Democracy was decried by the founders of the American Republic as the worst possible form of government. Rule by the Majority can be just as cruel as any Tyrant or Dictator has ever been.

Rule of Law is its opposite, and the only hope of mankind for Freedom and Justice. Establishing Rule of Law and preserving it from corruption and perversion is the true Art of Liberty.

A Republic is that manifestation of Democracy where the Mob is constrained by the Rule of Law.

Dec 29, 2011, 17:45

Psi-Phi
Psi-Phi
182 posts

Psi-Phi wrote:
A Republic is that manifestation of Democracy where the Mob is constrained by the Rule of Law.

Said in a better way, The People are empowered to govern themselves Democratically, under the Rule of Law, by means of the mechanisms set in place by the Constitution, with safeguards to ensure against corruption by those established to preserve, protect, and defend it.(Meaning, Judges, Congressmen, Senators, and Lawyers.)

"We hold these Truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal and endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness." Familiar to many, these words are from the Declaration of Independence.

Lesser known, from the very next sentence, are these words, which define the ONLY LEGITIMATE purpose for government: "In order to secure these Rights, governments are established among men, deriving their Just Powers from the consent of the governed."

Thomas Jefferson said, "A multiplicity of laws and a reverence for Judges are the twin rocks upon which the ship of State is sunk." And so it is today. (By the way, it must be said, Rules, Regulations, Ordinances, Policies and Statutes, - by definition - are NOT Law!)

That is the key.

Dec 29, 2011, 17:51

Psi-Phi
Psi-Phi
182 posts

Psi-Phi wrote:
Said in a better way, The People are empowered to govern themselves Democratically, under the Rule of Law, by means of the mechanisms set in place by the Constitution, with safeguards to ensure against corruption by those established to preserve, protect, and defend it.(Meaning, Judges, Congressmen, Senators, and Lawyers.)

That is where the United States has failed. In the 'preserve, protect, and defend' part.

It has become a nation 'of the Attorneys, by the Criminals, and for the Money.'

Believe it or not, that is why the good souls in both the 'Occupy' movements and the 'Tea Party' are actually brothers of different mothers, and don't even know it.

(Sort of like Ishmael and Isaac!)

Speaking of solutions being in the Language, and distinctions with a difference, by definition, and so on, what is the difference between a Lawyer and an Attorney?

According to Black's Law Dictionary, 6th Edition, a Lawyer is a student of the Law. Whereas, an Attorney is an agent of Satan.

I repeat:
Rules, Regulations, Ordinances, Policies and Statutes, - by definition - are NOT Law!

That is the key. The difference. By definition.

Dec 29, 2011, 18:10

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

You are a wonderful muse. Keep up the good work. :)

Dec 29, 2011, 20:27

xperceptor
xperceptor
337 posts

Psi-Phi wrote:
This Topic was suggested to me by a discussion in a different Thread in a Post by Hito, which I take the liberty of reposting here:

hito wrote:
Perhaps democracy is not such a good idea. Asking all people to vote about matters that require a PhD level of knowledge is objectively illogical. I am not saying that voting should be eliminated but I am asking people to consider what it means. The idea of a voting licence could logically lead to most people being eliminated from the electoral roll as few would have the necessary knowledge required to make informed decisions on the range of complex matters controlled by government.
So where does that leave us? I don't know

Perceptive questions often suggest their own very best answers. I believe your statements certainly do! Another perceptive insight by Hito.

A license to vote? This is similar to the chicken vs the egg paradox.

Dec 30, 2011, 01:33

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5913 posts

Psi-Phi wrote:

The essence of Democracy is Majority Rule. A perfect microcosm is a lynch mob. The poor guy at the end of the rope is in the unfortunate minority. Democracy has been described as two wolves and a lamb deciding what's for lunch.

Well I'm not addressing the corruption issues in my response. But I think that because we have two major parties, it actually has worked pretty well over the long run. In that I mean that we have sort of worked toward the center. Not saying it's what many people would want, but if for political expediency if nothing else, both parties have their strength with the centrists. This allows a modicum of stability in our government unlike some systems that swing more wildly.

Dec 30, 2011, 05:51

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

I think the country is perfect. :) Best one, I wouldn't trade it.

Dec 30, 2011, 06:38

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index