Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
How would you describe your musical taste?
Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

How would you describe your musical taste?

I think many of my friends on here have veered off in different directions over the years, I was just thinking about that today...

I am pretty basic in that I like a good pop tune. I can handle and enjoy dissonant elements in music if it has a cohesive string that pulls it together, or if it's got something on top that's much more melodic. (Why I've like most Broadcast music, and yet many other Broadcast fans like much more dissonant music than me.)

I tend to like guitar and synth sounds best, not unusual there. But it's nice when there are different unexpected instruments in the mix.

I think I'm easily irritated by vocals that rub me the wrong way, or guitar wankery. That includes pointless abstraction if I think it just doesn't have magic somehow.

I love to sing along. I love to sing harmony I make up. I love to listen to the various elements and absorb them over time.

I'm a bit contradictory in that I love some derivative pop music based on music I can admire from the past, but other derivative music just makes me gag, like contemporary country or mainstream radio. But yet traditional country gets a nod from me though I rarely listen. It's just more real somehow. And I can handle techno only if I'm out dancing to it. The repetitiveness is just so tedious otherwise. I guess I don't have the patience to enjoy long slow ambient music, unless it's very complex and changes a lot. Electronic music that's not remixes, and not techno I tend to like very much.

I love music that's sexy!

Sep 14, 2011, 20:44

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Squirrel M. Nutter
890 posts

Re: How would you describe your musical taste?

If I had to, I would describe it as broad and advanced.

Sep 14, 2011, 20:54

78_sluss_s
78_sluss_s
227 posts

I like the opposite of what everyone else likes, I like Bernhard Gunter and The Hafler Trio and goth.

Sep 14, 2011, 21:22

thomas2
thomas2
1692 posts

I just have to have music that holds my attention.

Sep 14, 2011, 21:23

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
634 posts

Great thread! Attempting to emulate the style of your post, here's me summing it up as adequately as I can:

I too like a good pop tune. To me pop music isn't pandering to the lowest common denominator nor conformity to radio formats. Nor it's all about how you present yourself. I'm a pop idealist: I believe in focusing on the melody. Attempting to gain popularity is widespread. But melodic geniuses are quite rare and the Beatles (sorry Cheeso/Squirrel, but I'm not buying into the Beatles naysayerism) may very well be the single act whose mainstream appeal and melodic craft were at its optimum balance.

At the same time, I'm quite drawn to complexity. It can exist in various guises though. Whether it's Zappa or some of the Canterbury prog-rockers going through the most impossible rhythmic labyrinths of weird time signatures, dense jazzy chords or simply an advanced layering of instruments and textures in case of Stereolab and Broadcast. And coming back to melody: it doesn't have to be pop in order to be melodic. Something like Michael Nyman's "Chasing Sheep Is Best Left To Shepherds" is supremely memorable in its melodic content, although you can only consider it "pop" if you buy this argument that someone once put forth that minimalism (another one of my loves) is "pop music for intellectuals".

The tones I'm most drawn to: various keyboards like acoustic piano, electronic organs (Farfisa and the instrument Mike Ratledge played with the Softs), harpsichord, analogue synthesizers (Moog, Arp etc). Don't mind Fender Rhodes, but it was very ubiquitous during the Jazz-Rock/Fusion years, it's still a great electric piano though. Then of course come the horns and woodwinds: trumpet/flugelhorn, trombone, clarinet, flute, bassoon etc. A percussionist side of me is also drawn to drums, vibraphones, xylophones and glockenspiel. Guitar is such a ubiquitous instrument that it's a cliche in popular music, I've lost interest in playing it as much, there are already too many guitarists. Still, I've grown to love the 12-string guitar and I'm thinking of buying one in the future.

As far as vocals go, I'm mostly drawn towards the baritone-bassy end of male and alto/contralto end of female voice, though a well-sung, confident tenor/soprano if it's not too screechy can also sound ace. Sometimes I'm drawn to eccentricity as far as voices go: it's often cool to hear these old Soft Machine live recordings in order to enjoy Robert Wyatt doing avant-garde scat improv thing with Echoplex. Guitar wankery, yes, a turn-off, or any wankery for that matter, I don't like seeing keyboardists going over the top either. Richard Wright was so much more awesome than a technician like Jordan Rudess could ever hope to be! I'm much more in favor of turning technical limitations to your advantage as opposed to showing off too much technical prowess.

Singing along with records while adding harmonies that aren't heard is also my favorite music-listening habit!

Country? Well, not very much, Johnny Cash may be the best I could muster. Mainstream radio? No way! Techno? Well, the more IDM-y side like Autechre I suppose, but not so into this dance music thing. Ambient? Yes, also preferring the more developing side of it. More drawn to instrument driven music than electronic, but I believe the two can complement each other quite well.

About music being sexy: recently I did some music for a play based on Gilgamesh epic. There was this scene where the temple prostitute is taming the wild man Enkidu by whoring with him for seven days. I've tried to figure out something for the copulation scene, but needless to say it all proved futile effort, after the actress playing the whore told me she had seen the Kate Bush video and wanted to make dance moves like her. Needless to say, if Kate Bush knows better than me how to create erotic vibration, then my efforts are perhaps bound to fall flat. I'm not sure if I can fully buy Tim & Laetitia's argument that Can is good for having sex: it's such a hermetic and isolating view (and a tad out of touch with reality) on what constitutes as music for having sex isn't it? As Todd Rundgren said, a well rounded musician can successfully produce music for a purpose.

Sep 14, 2011, 21:44

GaryB2
GaryB2
2322 posts

I think I like a bit of everything. Jack-of-all-trades, if you will.

I get goosebumps at a couple of Take That songs when I hear them on the radio.

I love a a good dose of jazz-wankery also.

Sep 14, 2011, 21:53

musicforeels
musicforeels
520 posts

"Good" to me and "rubbish" to others. And sometimes the other way round.

Sep 14, 2011, 22:27

Squirrel M. Nutter
890 posts

Just say nay!

Sep 14, 2011, 22:33

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

agreed; good thread!

I really like organ, piano and synthesizer elements in music. detached and slightly indifferent female vocals are always pleasing; layered vocals, too.

I appreciate a good visual to go along with music whether it be an album cover or video to associate the music with. I usually need some type of old school crooner, bizarre outsider stuff, something I loved 5-20 yrs ago and something Stereolab related in the mix. melody is definitely required with most of my music. the hardest stuff I ever got into was some of the chick rock of the late 90's and I suspect it was because of hanging around a lot of lesbians. elements of humor are great (i.e. Sparks....genius with this). I also enjoy listening to lyrics in other languages. I like not knowing.

the search element is amuses me greatly. I like hearing what other people are obsessed with. I like digging through records at antique/thrift stores. I have a bit of an ego about my musical taste, but I think it's well deserved given the amount of time, money and research I've put into refining my ear.

Sep 14, 2011, 22:40

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

Gosh, that's a hard one. I either like it or I don't. I love good bass, drums, guitar, good feeling, lyrics. Basically, I've got to feel it.

Sep 14, 2011, 22:56

Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index