Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
bon iver by bon iver
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

and0rod4
692 posts

Re: bon iver by bon iver

all music is boring, face it. i'm greedy :/

Dec 26, 2011, 23:07

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

hito
hito
1745 posts

mikka000 wrote:
a lot of people are getting like that. people re getting tired of layers, production, effects and odd instrumentation, time signatures, self consciously arty film clips etc making up for mediocre song writing. people will always return to rock in its various forms because that's what consistently rings true for people.

I think you have lumped too many ideas together. Your opening paragraph could be about My Bloody Valentine, Broadcast, The Fall, Butthole Surfers, The Beatles, Stereolab, Kate Bush, Pink Floyd...

Dec 27, 2011, 14:22

mikka000
1083 posts

most of those artists are decades old and you're mentioning them now showing how they've stood the test of time because they innovated, broke ground and made timeless music.

Dec 28, 2011, 02:19

hito
hito
1745 posts

mikka000 wrote:

Bon iver, tUNE yARDS (who evidently need to write their name funny and pretentiously in order to make up for obvious musical shortcomings) and M83 can join Animal Collective and Aerial Pink on the pile of overrated bands that are a massive snoozefest and arse-numblingly dull.

Ta Da! :D

I think you are being a bit harsh. I don't even think Bon Iver is terrible, just not that amazing. I do think tune yards and Animal Collective have made some amazing music. Arial Pink is a bit hit and miss. Not sure about M83 as I only heard their first record. I don't know that it would be fair to call most of these artists "dull", even if you didn't like them (unless you use dull in a very general sense or base a band's dullness on your reaction to them)

Dec 28, 2011, 12:32

mikka000
1083 posts

in proportion to the praise they get? then yeh, they are dull. like people have said already, there has been something lacking from a lot of these 'best of' artists.

Dec 28, 2011, 23:31

hito
hito
1745 posts

I was thinking about this again after listening to Split Enz. They had some amazing singers and some interesting music. I was trying to think of modern bands that have good singers. Bon Iver along with a few bands that seem to be all falsetto (I don't know if I have named that squeaky singing correctly) and lacking in real power.

Check this out

Tim Finn could actually sing

Mar 21, 2012, 13:27

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index