Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
bon iver by bon iver
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

meanchico
meanchico
2695 posts

Re: bon iver by bon iver

it makes me think of the breakout Fleet Foxes albums from a couple years ago. it was subdued, but still striking nonetheless.

I bought the Bon Iver album when it came out months ago and loved it for about 2 weeks. I decided to listen again when all the 2011 lists started coming out. much like Fleet Foxes, it made so much more sense and felt more appropriate in the cold, dark days of winter. such a dreamy voice.

totally don't get this tUnE-YarDs stuff though.

PJ Harvey rocked 2011 the MOST. that Washed Out album "Within & Without" is super good as well. just acquired that last weekend.

Dec 21, 2011, 14:02

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5913 posts

hito wrote:
cyberpainter wrote:
Thanks for the link, I like it in a sleepy way.

No offence to you but I think too many do at the moment. These albums that are up the top are nice but unremarkable. It is sad to think of all the great albums over the years with their complexity and experimentation and creativity being held up next to an album that seems at least partly inspired by the Eagles and would fit into a Vegas venue.

We've always had very different taste.

Dec 21, 2011, 17:06

hito
hito
1745 posts

It is not about your taste or my taste. It is about whether this album is pushing the envelope or original. I don't have too much issue with Bon Iver as such. It is simply the fact that this is the best 2011 has to offer. It doesn't seem worthy, like Shakespeare in Love winning best film (I don't think the film was terrible but it was unremarkable). It just seems odd to have an inoffensive pop record as the best. I guess that is it. Inoffensive seems like a sad tag to add to music.

Check out the previous winners. There are a few duds but most of them were exciting releases at the time.

1970 The Stooges Fun House United States 9.4
1971 Sly and the Family Stone There's a Riot Goin' On United States NA
1972 The Rolling Stones Exile on Main St. England 10.0
1973 Stevie Wonder Innervisions United States NA
1974 Brian Eno Here Come the Warm Jets England 9.2
1975 Bob Dylan Blood on the tracks United States NA
1976 Ramones Ramones United States NA
1977 David Bowie Low England NA
1978 Wire Chairs Missing England 10.0
1979 The Clash London Calling England 10.0
1980 Talking Heads Remain in Light United States NA
1981 This Heat Deceit England 9.0
1982 Michael Jackson Thriller United States 7.2
1983 R.E.M. Murmur United States 10.0
1984 Prince & The Revolution Purple Rain United States NA
1985 Tom Waits Rain Dogs United States NA
1986 The Smiths 'The Queen Is Dead England 10.0
1987 Sonic Youth Daydream Nation United States 10.0
1988 Pixies Surfer Rosa United States NA
1989 Beastie Boys Paul's Boutique United States 10.0
1990 Public Enemy Fear of a Black Planet United States NA
1991 My Bloody Valentine Loveless Ireland NA
1992 Pavement Slanted and Enchanted United States 10.0
1993 Nirvana In Utero United States NA
1994 Pavement Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain United States 10.0
1995 Radiohead The Bends England 10.0
1996 DJ Shadow Endtroducing..... United States 10.0
1997 Radiohead OK Computer England 10.0
1998 Neutral Milk Hotel In the Aeroplane over the Sea United States 10.0
1999 The Flaming Lips The Soft Bulletin United States 10.0
2000 Radiohead Kid A England 10.0
2001 Daft Punk Discovery France 6.4
2002 Wilco Yankee Hotel Foxtrot United States 10.0
2003 Yeah Yeah Yeahs Fever to Tell United States 7.4
2004 Arcade Fire Funeral Canada 9.7
2005 Sufjan Stevens Illinois United States 9.2
2006 The Knife Silent Shout Sweden 8.6
2007 Panda Bear Person Pitch United States 9.4
2008 Fleet Foxes Sun Giant EP/Fleet Foxes United States 8.7/9.0
2009 Animal Collective Merriweather Post Pavilion United States 9.6

Dec 22, 2011, 00:32

hito
hito
1745 posts

to continue, it is not really about our middle aged minds. Imagine you were 17, living in a country town and the great big world just looms out there. What would be the best soundtrack of the year? Fear of a Black Planet? London Calling? Deceit? Kid A? Low? Bon Iver?

I assume you would want something to urge you to smash things up, stick it to the man, blow your mind, take you far away. Bon Iver says "go back to bed, everything is all right". I don't even like the Rolling Stones but Exile screams rock while Bon Iver whispers relax.

In this day and age of corruption and horrendous poverty and war, we need some angry political statements, some discordant rhythms, some journeys into the future.

So, I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window, open it, and stick your head out, and yell, "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!"

Dec 22, 2011, 01:09

meanchico
meanchico
2695 posts

in due time. it could be nice to relax and daydream a bit until then.

Dec 22, 2011, 05:20

calapia
calapia
252 posts

I agree with you Hito - this year seemed to be a real snoozer for new music. I'm a big fan of subtle and subdued, but it feels like it's getting pushed way too far. I never thought I'd say this, but I wanna hear a damn guitar solo! Or something that takes the reins and just plants its feet firmly on the ground. Many of the newest releases that are getting a lot of props just seem to be wishy washy and dare I even say wimpy??? Just my 2 cents.

Dec 22, 2011, 06:20

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5913 posts

Who cares what pitchfork thinks is the best of anything? I think it's ok, if a bit too sleepy. Certainly not the best of the year.

Dec 22, 2011, 07:51

Mars Rover
Mars Rover
1337 posts

calapia wrote:
I agree with you Hito - this year seemed to be a real snoozer for new music. I'm a big fan of subtle and subdued, but it feels like it's getting pushed way too far. I never thought I'd say this, but I wanna hear a damn guitar solo! Or something that takes the reins and just plants its feet firmly on the ground. Many of the newest releases that are getting a lot of props just seem to be wishy washy and dare I even say wimpy??? Just my 2 cents.

what he said.

i was looking through the albums i got this year because i wanted to contribute to the best of '11 thread...and there's nothing that really stands out to me, nothing that qualifies as "classic" to me anyway. bon iver and the ilk just bore me to tears. and a lot of other stuff people on here like a lot is not for me. looking for a new inspiration.

Dec 22, 2011, 13:54

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2778 posts

Mars Rover wrote:
...looking for a new inspiration.

Dubstep! Skrillex!

Dec 22, 2011, 14:25

Mars Rover
Mars Rover
1337 posts

Mu Mu wrote:
Mars Rover wrote:
...looking for a new inspiration.

Dubstep! Skrillex!

nah.

Dec 22, 2011, 16:31

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index